Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Engine turning matte centers on glass

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Fielder

Engine turning matte centers on glass

Post by Doug Fielder »

I have seen a nice gold on glass job where the matte centers of the letters were engine turned. Is this as easy as doing it on a truck? It was a beautiful effect. Too bad the gold is delaminating from the glass in a restaurant in Vermont, I remember reading that it is bad to gild windows on the East coast in restaurants, salons and butcher shops because of the condensation on the glass in the winter.
I would imagine this was done with 1-Shot gold size, engine turned, then water gilded around the outside of the letters for the burnished outline, then backed up and outlined.
Am I correct?
Anyone else do this? Are there any ways to avoid the delamination from humidity/condensation?
Would a Japan size be better for the matte centers?
I am not fast at lettering nor leafing, so would I be better off with the 1-Shot?

Thank you again.
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!