Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Strong's Book of Designs

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

admin
Site Admin

Strong's Book of Designs

Post by admin »

This image show the two versions of the plate following the Title page of a Strong's Book of Designs (1910 and 1917) The book with the pink plate lacks two pagess compared to the one with the bluegreen color scheme.

This is the front cover of the Canadian 2001 reprint.
Here is the address of the actual publisher:
Algrove Publishing Limited
1090 Morrison Drive
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K2H 1C2

Here are some additional notes I made on the temporary BB.

Wow, I just didn't remember seeing two of the old plates when I was looking over the newer 2001 reprint. I didn't remember seeing Mystic Park and Skating at Belle Isle when I made the previous posts. So, now all I see different are two pages of Ice Cream and Cakes, both of which look "questionable" to the CJ Strong style. Sorry for the earlier mistake.

As far as the pink version of the book goes, I opened each page side by side with my 1917 New and Enlarged edition and found three differences. The pink version lacks on of the airbrushed pages with the two plates labeled "Thanks-giving". It also lacks the watercolor plate near the back with the butterflies and flowers. Lastly, the black and white page near the back with "Year Book" and "Eccentric Panels" has the two images reversed with Year Book on the left. There is a slight color shift in some of the two and three color plates, buy you'd have to be looking at the books side by side to really notice. Otherwise, the ordering of all pages were the same.

My pink book isn't in great shape. Someone cut the title page out, leaving about 3/4" of the old page remaining. One of the images on one watercolor page was cut out and several pages have pencil scribbles. With those issues noted, I looked closely to see if I could see any remnants of the edges of the pages where the other two pages might have cut out of the book. I didn't see any evidence of that being the case.

Mike Jackson
admin
Site Admin

Links to old posts

Post by admin »

Here are a few links to threads about the Strong's books on the old BB:

http://www.theletterheads.com/wwwboard/ ... /4717.html

http://www.theletterheads.com/wwwboard3/messages/6.html

Mike
Mike Duncan

Post by Mike Duncan »

In response to the Strongs Book of Designs in the old forum:

Robare,

The 1917 editions I have both have those four pages. Interestingly enough, one has grid marks behind the harp or lyre, but not the other one.

Mike Duncan
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

strongs

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Mike,
I looked throgh my three old Strongs books.
"Skating at Belle Isle"
"I can, will and do make SHOW CARDS quick and cheap"
"Splash with me at Pleasure Park"
"music" with a harp and guitar shiloette.
http://www.theletterheads.com/wwwboard/ ... /4757.html

Robare listed these four pages and suggested they were IN the 1910 book but NOT in the 1917 books. They are all in my three old books and at least one is a 1917 original. It's funny, when I looked at the 2001 reprint, I thought the Skating at Belle Isle and the Pleasure Park pages were new, too.

None of my three have grid lines behind the harp. That's interesting!

As I stated earlier, all I can see new in the 2001 reprint are the two questionable cake and ice cream pages, printed in color. For a reprint, you'd think they would have included the source book or document in the copyright section. I wonder where those two plates came from?
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Mike Duncan

Post by Mike Duncan »

:roll: Oops,
Now that I look closer I see the grid lines were drawn in by someone-jeez I guess my vision is going-should have noticed that before. Someone must have used the grid system to transfer the design. That is weird about the two extra cake and ice cream pages-I wonder if the people at Algrove Publishing Limited that reprinted it can answer that :?:
Mike Duncan
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I received this message back from Tod Swormstedt concerning the Canadian reprint of Strongs:
ST Media Group can not have a copyright on Strong since it was originally copyrighted by someone else. However, what it did do is legally reprint Strong since the copyright had expired and not been renewed. Many of you know that there is an Atkinson's Signpainting reprint that was done after ST did its reprint. This is the same scenario as Strong.
Thanks Tod! Good luck with the museum opening.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons