Removing mirroring

An interactive section of TheLetterheads.com

Topics include: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Off Topic Posts may be deleted at the discretion of the web hosts. ABSOLUTELY NO SHARING OF COPYRIGHTED FONTS, CLIP ART, or VIDEOS!

Please take social chit-chat elsewhere!

Moderators: Danny Baronian, Mike Jackson

Roderick Treece

Removing mirroring

Post by Roderick Treece » Mon May 03, 2004 2:04 pm

After a peice is mirrored and has the art work apllied (backed up) I've been useing silver strip to remove the silver thats not backed up.Is there a formula mixture that removes the silver and yet will not harm the edges of the backed up silver.I'm thinking maybe my mix (from Sarah) might be to strong?Or is there somthing else to use?
I've notice that one of my samples has a little bit of tarnishing on the edge of the silver.The sample was rinsed with clean water and painted out with one-shot so it's totally sealed.

Roderick

Larry White

Backing up silver...

Post by Larry White » Mon May 10, 2004 9:06 am

Rod-
Be careful what you use to back up the silver. Many products will cause it to tarnish. Might I suggest using a mirror back up paint, or asphaltum varnish. When using silver strip, I prefer to moisten a paper towel with it and rub it over the area. If you allow it to puddle at the paint edge, it can undercut slightly. -LW

Robare M. Novou

Silver Removal

Post by Robare M. Novou » Thu May 13, 2004 11:00 am

Have you tried to dilute the silver strip?

I seem to remember doing that...I think I even mixed in some bon ami, by wiping the damped diluted silver strip rag across a bon ami bar a swipe or two...and then going after the unbacked up silver.

RMN