Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Signs From Sydney Australia

Posted Images from various artists

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Anthony Bennett

Re: Signs From Sydney Australia

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Glass Mat Paste is an etching paste, similar to but not as good as the Acid People like Pat,Dave and Erik use.
It can be applied via screen printing.
As can be seen here http://www.agabe.com/en/mattglass.php
I don't know of anyone who has used this paste but I am hoping that for those that don't, or can't, use actual acid that this will be a worthwhile alternative.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I used armour etching paste and came to the conclusion that i can make my own paste (will never use it by the way).
But in this process i realized that it is definatly not as harmless as the company projects.
It still has HF-acid as a base, but it is more controlable when handling it.
I liked the stuff for when i did some etching on site, but still there are some things to keep in mind.
Since the etching is done in a mere 90seconds or so, this means that it is even more important to completely clean the glass and get it rid of any oils etc.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

erik winkler wrote:I used armour etching paste and came to the conclusion that i can make my own paste (will never use it by the way).
But in this process i realized that it is definatly not as harmless as the company projects.
It still has HF-acid as a base, but it is more controlable when handling it.
I liked the stuff for when i did some etching on site, but still there are some things to keep in mind.
Since the etching is done in a mere 90seconds or so, this means that it is even more important to completely clean the glass and get it rid of any oils etc.
Yes I quite agree about "Home Brewing" etching liquid, it is after all (only) a 20% solution of Ammonium Bifluoride.
I don't know how you would make it into a paste,mixing in castor sugar perhaps?
Making it, however, has the same dangers as handling HF. Which surprises me when you see adverts for people using Etching products with bare hands and no eye or mouth protection.
As for actually using this type of etching product, is there a reason that it would not be used please Erik?
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I do not like to use it because it does not give a white enough etch to the glass.
It is allmost transparant, and that is due to the fact that only i very thin layer is etched (in only 90 seconds).
It is good hobby stuff, but does not do the trick if you want to etch in different tones Anthony.
The matt would disapeare in the first reducing tone.
Hope this helps.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu