Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Bruce Jackson's photo archive - 4 - insurance window

Posted Images from various artists

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

BruceJackson

Bruce Jackson's photo archive - 4 - insurance window

Post by BruceJackson »

Next up is this advertisement for an insurance company and one of my favorite signs that I regularly drive past.

Located at 153 Brunswick Street, Nth Fitzroy, (opposite Edinburgh Gardens), an inner suburb of Melbourne, the sign for Scottish Union & National Insurance Co. is a great example of early 20th century window sign.

Although the owners attributed it to 1930's, that is a conservative estimate. I think it looks substantially older. Some of the design elements look like it could be anything up to perhaps 20 or 30 years older.

The signwriter has used aluminium paste, which may indicate an earliest possible date. When did that material first appear? They have also stippled the entire background so that the appearance from the back looks good.

The current owners have a dilema, because although they love it, it distracts from their business and they are considering removing it.
Attachments
PB170393.jpg
PB170393.jpg (87.62 KiB) Viewed 11858 times
PB170399.jpg
PB170399.jpg (99.65 KiB) Viewed 11857 times
PB170403.jpg
PB170403.jpg (72.03 KiB) Viewed 11858 times
PB170405.jpg
PB170405.jpg (71.11 KiB) Viewed 11859 times
Anthony Bennett

Re: Bruce Jackson's photo archive - 4 - insurance window

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Nice , thanks.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

If they really think of removing it... maybe you could suggest designing a vinyl application attached on the front of the window?
Everything is better then removing something like this.

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Great post Bruce.
I like the colour combination ,looks very nice.
Dave
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

My guess would be much earlier because of the use of the &C as well as the style of the copy at the bottom. What is the guess for the original color of the letter centers on FIRE? Neat period piece and indiciative of a particular style.

We had one similar to this a few years ago. We varnished the back to stop the peeling and had a glass company remove and hang it high on the back wall of the shop for their nostalgia. That way they still had the history but it did not detract from the current business.
Jeff Lang

Post by Jeff Lang »

Bruce,
I've been enjoying the photo installments. Great inspirations!
Thanks for sharing,
Jeff
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999
Ingrid Mager

Post by Ingrid Mager »

There should be museum for these sorts of pieces. (Is there one somewhere in the US?)
That would also allow for them to have the piece safely removed and donated/sold to such a museum.
~Inga