Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Bruce Jackson's photo archive - 5 - Bushells Tea and Coffee

Posted Images from various artists

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

BruceJackson

Bruce Jackson's photo archive - 5 - Bushells Tea and Coffee

Post by BruceJackson »

Bushells kept signwriters in full time work painting their signs all over the country on walls, verandahs and seemingly any surface they could use. They competed for space with other coffee and tea brands, such as Robur and Lan-Choo and the faded signs that attest to the brand battle can still be found in many places.

The Bushells' window signs where often done in gold leaf, especially the better and earlier ones, but there are also several examples where they have opted for paint instead.

The last photo is a more recent one but still with the same layout and moniker for tea of "more cups, finer flavor", or "pure coffee".

Note also the interesting Monkey Brand sign with it's rather strange advertising feature of "won't wash clothes".

These examples are in the towns of Stratford (2 photos), Yea, Clunes, Maldon, and Daylesford
Attachments
PB210431.jpg
PB210431.jpg (92.96 KiB) Viewed 10670 times
PB210432.jpg
PB210432.jpg (90.17 KiB) Viewed 10670 times
PC031500.jpg
PC031500.jpg (80.43 KiB) Viewed 10667 times
P5013610.jpg
P5013610.jpg (84.96 KiB) Viewed 10674 times
PC116926.jpg
PC116926.jpg (85.74 KiB) Viewed 10671 times
P6125073.jpg
P6125073.jpg (112.39 KiB) Viewed 10670 times
Last edited by BruceJackson on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
DAVE SMITH

Re: bushells coffee

Post by DAVE SMITH »

These shop fronts have real old charm to them. The charcter of the place comes out in your last photo Bruce. what dates would you put this?
It looks like an acid stippled centre on Bushells is that what i'm seeing Bruce? or matt centre?
Love the tree branch around the fascia.
nice post thanks..
Dave
BruceJackson

Re: Bruce Jackson's photo archive - 5 - Bushells Coffee

Post by BruceJackson »

Dave,

All these shops have lots of character. Many of the building were made during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It's a very typical type of shop in Victoria because so much development happened at that time.

It's a bit hard to find dates for these signs. I think a lot of these signs were done between the 1930's and 1950's, but I have to admit I'm guessing. I do know that this type of signage on general stores started to be overtaken by Coca-cola during the 70's.

Pity I can't include all the photos I've got, because some of them show two or three brands on one shopfront and even examples of one brand overpainting another brand.

There's no acid etch. It's just a painted matt finish, which the signwriters here would have called a "mock emboss". The top photos from Stratford has a matt highlight rather than a centre.

As for the branch, it's actually a vine trained along the front of the verandah, probably wisteria, but I don't have a shot showing it properly.
Attachments
PC116919.jpg
PC116919.jpg (93.02 KiB) Viewed 10661 times
Anthony Bennett

Re: Bruce Jackson's photo archive - 5 - Bushells Tea and Coffee

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Lovelt finds Bruce, thanks for the share. Please keep them coming.
erik winkler

Re: Bruce Jackson's photo archive - 5 - Bushells Tea and Coffee

Post by erik winkler »

Thank you Bruce for yet another series.
Tomorrow I will go to Munchen (Oktoberfest) and will try if I can make some nice gilded shopfront window shots for you.

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu