Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Hand Carvings

Posted Images from various artists

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Hand Carvings

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I took my wife out for a meal a few nights back,found these carvings in a room inside the pub. Been going to this pub for years but never had sat in this room before ,these were on the walls.I know there's a few of you guy's into this sort of work so thought I would take a few pics and share them .
Dave
Attachments
carv3.jpg
carv3.jpg (174.49 KiB) Viewed 15470 times
carv2.jpg
carv2.jpg (137.71 KiB) Viewed 15465 times
carv1.jpg
carv1.jpg (156.87 KiB) Viewed 15463 times
DAVE SMITH

Hand Carvings

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Carving 4
Attachments
carv4.jpg
carv4.jpg (138.2 KiB) Viewed 15451 times
carv5.jpg
carv5.jpg (179.7 KiB) Viewed 15454 times
joe cieslowski

Re: Hand Carvings

Post by joe cieslowski »

Thanks for the great pics Dave!!!!

I love to study the old work....no sandpaper.....just chips.

I can even picture how the carver made those..... excellent!

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Smitty...great stuff. I can imagine the time it took to do these let alone the skill and talent!!
Brian the Brush UK

Post by Brian the Brush UK »

Hi Dave,
You must have some pretty posh pubs 'darn sarf' !! up here in Yorkshire I haven't seen work like that for many a year !! Hope your misses enjoyed her treat !!

kind regards,
Brian.
www.brianthebrushuk.com
With a stroke more imagination.
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for sharing that excellent work with all of us. We are fortunate that you take your camera with you when dinning out. :mrgreen:
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hello Ron. With modern technology these new iphones are very clever. I at to ask my daughter if i could use it though.
attached some more photos of another interesting item for you guy's to see
I have friends that calls me once a week to see if I want eggs,usualy duck and goose eggs which are nice and fresh , you can taste the difference from the ones stacked on the shelves for 3 weeks in the shops, anyway they live in a house in a place called Compton just outside Torquay here. The house has been a Smithery ,forge,shop, post office and everything under the sun and now back to an old house which it has been for the past 80 years. The house dates to 1630.
They have been doing this place up to the way it once was .they literally have taken all the modern stuff out and put back all the original looking features and they also found alott original features covered up. Even down to replacing the walls with lime and mud. It is such a treasure and an amazing little place .It stands next to a castle called Compton Castle ,I took Gary Godby once to the castle to do some Metal detecting and he could'nt get over how old it all was as he is into old Medivel history especially battle history. you may be interested in doing a google search on the castle.
My point here is as I am going on a bit that the owners of the house found this cast object under the centre step of the stairs on the landing covered in about 400 years of dust and grime. It had been placed at the top step neatly in the centre. I took these photos of it to show you all. The text is in German .
They do know that the houses and barns around them were mainly forges and that alott of working travellers were in this area at these times. Can get some more info if anyone is interseted. the size is 4'' high by about 3''. It's a lovely little item. they will be taking it to the British Museum to find out some more info.
Dave
Attachments
cast1.jpg
cast1.jpg (200.75 KiB) Viewed 15386 times
cast.jpg
cast.jpg (152.71 KiB) Viewed 15389 times
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Beautiful work Dave.

If you have more information on the home restoration, please post it.

Any idea of the age of the woodwork? It's work like this that would make a first time visitor in your part of the world have a sense of sensory overload.

You had to borrow your daughters iPhone? Who's in charge in that house?

Great work.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Nice carvings mate.. what was the food like? :D
The iron thing.. could be a fire back?- pretty old thou,
It looks like a religious subject.... was it perhaps hidden and saved during the reformation?
Cast iron usually gets smashed- nice finds- thanks for sharing.
Pat Welter

Post by Pat Welter »

Truely nice work on both counts...Thanks Dave
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Thanks, Dave...
I can't wait to see those personally!
Is that a rooster or a dragon on top of the knights helmet?
Very strange people, those englishmen, very strange.

Aho.
Last edited by Tony Segale on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I am crazy for woodcarving!
When I was a kid of 7 years old my father and mother gave me some chisels and woodcarvig tools for my birthday.
After cutting my hands for a few times about ten times for half an inch deep at a time and some docters visits I stopped unfortunatly.
After that I began the same hobby as Gary Godby is supposed to do, according to Dave: Searching for historic finds with a metal detector. I did this for years, do not tell anybody, but this Dutch nerd stil drives around with one in his car. :wink:

By reading these posts I realize that there are some fans in reall good woodcarving.
I will make a seperate post (Boss Mike tip) about maybe one of the best woodcarver ever in all history.
Grinling Gibbons
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thought you guy's might like seeing that. A little cast just waiting to be found.
not sure on the age of the carvings Danny. Tony it looks like some sort of Dragon ,will take you there when you come here mate. Food is great there Wayne,very good pub, low ceilings and all that....
Back to work.....
Dave