Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Signmaking 101: Routers, router bits and CNC's

Advanced Hand Lettering Techniques and Step by Steps.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Signmaking 101: Routers, router bits and CNC's

Post by Danny Baronian »

Anyone that cuts many panels or does dimensional work probably has a router in their shop. Many shops have now incorporated CNC equipment.

How do you maintain your equipment, including sharpening bits?

Here are some things to consider:

1. Check the collet frequently for dust build up within the collet. Remove it, blow it out with compressed air, and if a hard build up accumulates inside the collet , take an awl or small screwdriver and run it around the inside. This is the number one reason for bit failure and damage to the router itself.

2. If the collet does not turn freely and is hard to turn, remove it, clean the threads and run a bar of soap perpendicular to the threads.

3. Have your bits saw blade sharpened on a regular basis by a saw shop. Not only will they last longer, the cuts will be cleaner and will require less clean up.

4. Don't overlook steel bits. While carbide is good for composites - mdf, ply, HDU, acrylics, PVC, steel bits typically have a sharper edge than carbide. Steel bits are superior for solid wood, though they need to be sharpened frequently.

5. In a pinch, carbide and steel bits can be stropped on a diamond sharpening block, holding the bit flat on the cutting surface and push from the front to the back, lifting the bit and repeat. Don't lay the bit on the block and rub back and forth.

6. The best all around CNC combination feed rate/ rpm is 150 ipm at 18,000 rpm, if you have the ability to vary you motor speed.
This speed/feed rate is good for acrylics, PVC, ply, corian (same properties as acrylics) and wood. HDU can be run up to 600 ipm depending on the size of the bit. Aluminum and brass are another matter, and need a completely different set of feed / rpm rates.

The best place for router bit information is from Onsrud: http://www.onsrud.com/

Check out both the machining facts and feed rates.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Danny,
Thanks for the info. Do you buy your router bits directly from Onsrund or from a distributor? We used to buy Onsrund bits from Walter Hartlauer in Eugene, Oregon. He was a wealth of knowledge!
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

I've bought direct from Onsrud and through distributors, usually machine supply shops. I've also bought from Hatlauer, and have spoken to him on occasion. He's very helpful and carries many hard to find bits.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
Rick Sacks

Post by Rick Sacks »

Hey guys, remember when Walter H first came out with his plans for making a pin router? His scheme for using over and under size pins to create the needed offsets for making perfect fitting inlays? Sure had some fun charging into some of the pre CNC ways of doing things that seemed incredibly high tech.
Mendocino, California
"Where the redwoods meet the Sea"
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

I remember seeing similar plans and eventually built a overarm pin router for a job that required several hundred game boards. The pin router seemed the best answer.

It got to the point we were making so many I bought a commercial unit. Aside from the table saw, at the time it was the most useful machine in the shop. As computerization was introduced into shop equipment , I began thinking of ways of adding an automated table with x and y capabilities.

Fortunately I never got to it, and bought a CNC. Needless to say, the pin router is rarely used anymore, though there are operations no other tool can do as efficiently.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Rick, I believe he did much more than scheme and plan. Walter Hartlauer made a very nice pin router--great for duplicating letters and shapes following masonite patterns. I bought two of them and one is still at the old shop. I don't think they know what it is or what it does. Unlike many commercial woodworking pin routers, Walter developed one that had a foot lever that would drop the router bit below the table and raise the pin above the work enough to get to the centers of the letters. We used it extensively right up until the day we brought in a CNC router, and we used the knowledge learned on the pin router days in conjunction with the CNC patterns. Taking that even further, Gerber flew Walter in to Connecticut for help understanding some of "push thru" and "flanged push thru" letters their CNC routers could do.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Robert Smith

Re: Signmaking 101: Routers, router bits and CNC's

Post by Robert Smith »

Hey buddy , thanks for giving such a valuable tips as that will surly help me as i am going to buy a CNC router for sign making.
I readed a article related to Best CNC router for sign making in which they listed 5 Router with their detailed description. And i want to tell all these 5 router in brief

1. ShopSabre CNC Router
When working with shopsabre, you are going to get a CNC grade motion controller with PC compatibility that means you are going to have complete control over how things work and there’s flexibility if you want to amend any changes. All the CNC machines made by shopsabre don’t require any assembly or installation.

2. Axyz
They manufacture the best machines for innovation, industrial routers that deliver high productivity and perfect cutting quality all within a reasonable pricing. They are quite well known for making bespoke machine and get it delivered to you within 4 to 6 weeks.When you are working on making signs, it is important for you to have a router that does very well in terms of precision and speed. The router by axyz are well versed when it comes to functionality and serve both the purposes of a hobby woodworker and someone working at scale inside a business.

3. Laguna Tools
Laguna tools believes in making safe, quality and precise woodworking machine, something you want when doing tasks like sign making or other precision based products. The best part about laguna tools is that you get videos as in tutorials on most of their tools which means when you buy a machinery, you also get a package of videos to show you how to work on these machines.

4. CAMaster
CAMaster designs and manufactures fully integrated CNC routers for a wide range of applications and budgets. CAMaster is based in Cartersville, Georgia USA. This brand is known for utilizing machinery, hardware, software and many different methods which enable them to serve their clients better. Their CNC routers are very popular when it comes to sign making, cabinet making and milling of metals. They offer the best price vs performance options.

5. Zentoolworks
No matter what complex part of machine you want to get assembled or fixed. They know their stuff very well. All their machines are low on maintenance and so if you are a beginner, this factor is going to be highly helpful since the dust from cutting of wood for sign boards can sometimes hamper the functionality of the router.

And similar they mention Things to consider when buying a CNC router for sign making and How to create signs using a CNC router?

Now i am slightly confused to buy which one. So can you help me to figure out best among them.

Thanks in advance
Kevin W Betz

Post by Kevin W Betz »

I would recommend a Gerber Sabre.
All Routers Rout. My Experience has been understanding
the Fine Details: Material, Speed, Thickness, Density, etc.
We have broken many bits through the years. Carbide or Steel
does make a difference in Routing, depending on the material

kb

P.S. Danny, Good Information on Cleaning The Collet.
Most Important to Maintain a tight connection
Lucifercork

Post by Lucifercork »

Thanks for the information. We also need to keep the bit sharpen and keep the collet clean. Then smooth woodworking and sign making becomes a charm.

https://cncrouterhub.com/how-to-sharpen-router-bits/

This guide helped in keeping your bits sharp and your letters precise.