Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Letterheads

Up coming and Past Letterhead Events

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kent Smith

Letterheads

Post by Kent Smith »

Letterheads?

Letterheads is a non-organization, with no dues, no officers, and thousands of participants! If you have never been to a LIVE Letterhead Meet you should go … because Letterheads cannot be described … it must be experienced.

When Mike Jackson announced the Letterhead Meet in Moore OK (October, 1982), there was no deterring Kent. We were going! So, fully expecting to be bored, I set out with my husband for this “sign artists’ get together”. The electric energy of your first Letterheads is amazing! It is a family reunion. Anyone “interested in furthering the craft of sign making” is a welcome addition. Letterheads SHARE information freely. An oasis in a competitive world, we pool our resources to educate our competitors and improve THEIR product. Who ever heard of such a thing!

At our first meets, we gained hundreds of lifelong friends who are willing to take time out of their workday to help us solve those pesky little issues like “Why won’t the paint dry?” or “Where can I get good abalone?” In 1985 we joined the host committee for the 10th Anniversary meet in Denver, CO. An International Letterhead Meet by then meant meals and souvenirs, classes and demonstrations, both formal and informal. It was and is a HUGE undertaking, and the goal is to break even financially. If you make a profit it goes to a worthy cause, but if you lose money …. well you can pass the hat, but … …

Seven hundred and eighty three “non members” attended the Denver’85 Meet. We, along with the rest of the host committee, were exhausted and swore we would never do THAT again. But … when 1995 rolled around, we hosted the 20th Anniversary. At this meet, we created Letterhead University, a 2-day intense workshop that preceded the meet. It is a Letterhead custom for demonstrators to pay their fees and travel expenses for the “privilege” of spending the weekend improving the skills of other sign artists. In ’95 we broke that mold, helping the LHU teachers with SOME of their expenses, and thereby enabling them to spread themselves a little thinner and attend more of the smaller meets thus reaching more novices in the field who cannot afford the BIG meets.

But, in truth, who can afford to pass up the opportunity to talk one on one with the authors of the sign industry books and magazines? To have someone knowledgeable critique your portfolio and give you marketing pointers? To practice calligraphy under the watchful eye of Carl Rohrs? To gain insight in design from David Butler or Mark Oatis? To ask questions of people who have done this … successfully … for 40 or 50 years. Who, in the sign industry, can afford NOT to join the Letterhead Family?

In September 2015, The American Sign Museum in Cincinnati OH has agreed to host the 40th Anniversary Meet of Letterheads International. Letterhead University will take place on Thursday and Friday, Sept.24-25 and the Meet will be Saturday and Sunday, Sept 26-27. Go to http://www.letterheads40.com for more detailed information – although we cannot post fast enough to include all that will be happening. Actually, you never know “all” because if someone asks, for example, “How do you plaid gold?” or “Can you show me how to create a faux finish marble?” … it is likely to generate a new demonstration. Judi Smith

Edit: Corrected URL

Danny
Terry Westlin

Re: Letterheads

Post by Terry Westlin »

Judi thank you and you are very right. What a great place to learn.

I have been sand carving glass for a while but love the effects of vintage and Victorian glass signage. There are a few great artist right here that inspire me to learn.

I am a big novice in the techniques and processes of glass signage and it is definitely a place I need help.

Thank you very much for the tip.

I did try and go to the link you posted for "letterhead40.org" and found it is ".com" not ".org"

I will be checking to see if there are any meets closer to me if Central Floroida.

Thank you very much.
Terry
Kent Smith

Re: Letterheads

Post by Kent Smith »

Thanks Danny...too many in the que.