Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

My Website Design

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

My Website Design

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I recently finished my front page design for my website. I found it hard to make my mind up on what sort of look that I was going for., it seems to be more difficult trying to make your own stuff due to the amount of styles ,fonts and layouts that we could all make and come up with.
Same as alot of designers on this site I like the look of Art-Nouveau and Victorian design so I tried to mix the two together. Not sure if I did the right thing but In the end this was the route I went for my front design on my future website.
Was hoping to just put a Photobucket link to one large image of the design but got stuck on trying to figure that out. How do you guy's do that?
Dave
pencil--Dave-Smith.jpg
pencil--Dave-Smith.jpg (38.97 KiB) Viewed 9764 times
dave-scrip.jpg
dave-scrip.jpg (44.24 KiB) Viewed 9748 times

Hand drawn sketches I find are the best way to go with design before entering into computer design. I personally have more freedom with a pencil as opposed to a wacom tablet. Would like to know how others go about this process?
pencil-dave-smith-2.jpg
pencil-dave-smith-2.jpg (97.19 KiB) Viewed 9755 times

Some art- Nouveau scrolls with Victorian panels,at this stage I was back and fourth in the scanner trying to put this part together but making soooo many changes
PENCIL-SKETCH-MEL.jpg
PENCIL-SKETCH-MEL.jpg (64.88 KiB) Viewed 9752 times
My thought to adding a lady to the design would create a more elegant Art Nouveau feel to the finished design
Raymond Chapman

Re: My Website Design

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Beautiful work, Dave. The finished product will be fantastic.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Well thanks Raymond. I actually did finish it and I was suppost to add the other images but my connection went down ealier after posting those four pics.
Here are the finished ones.
Dave
Dave-Smith-detail-1.jpg
Dave-Smith-detail-1.jpg (151 KiB) Viewed 9721 times
Dave-Smith-detail2.jpg
Dave-Smith-detail2.jpg (120.16 KiB) Viewed 9715 times
Dave-Smith-detail-3.jpg
Dave-Smith-detail-3.jpg (112.86 KiB) Viewed 9718 times
Dave-Smith-detail4.jpg
Dave-Smith-detail4.jpg (132.39 KiB) Viewed 9718 times
I did actually ask Doug if he minded me using this little slogan on this part. It just seemed to work for this panel, so thanks to Doug for that. (100 Years behind the times) you may have seen it in other places also.
background-design.jpg
background-design.jpg (100.22 KiB) Viewed 9690 times
I made this first as part of the background to the work above but it was all to much detail and over powering infact the design was being ruined with this behind so I decided to not use it and scrap it. Probably use it somewhere down the line on another project.
Dave-Smith.jpg
Dave-Smith.jpg (114.87 KiB) Viewed 9709 times
This was my finished page earlier today.
Just need to make the site and upload my work now but this will happen over the next month hopefully. The links to my gallery will go below somehow.
If I could use photobucket I would be able to show you what it looks like on a full screen but like I said I am not sure how to do that.
Anyway Hope you guy's like it
Dave
Jeff Lang

Post by Jeff Lang »

Your abilities are astounding to me Dave, thanks for sharing the thought and design process for the stunning artwork!
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

I look at you work Dave.... and other than being overwhelmed, I think how in the . is this possible, where does all this intricate display of line, shape and color come from ?………does he just make this stuff up ? hahaaaaa...you’re a true gift to us all for possibility. Just excellent work !!
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I don't know what to say.
But that probably says enough.

It takes a lot to get me speechless.
Erik
Last edited by erik winkler on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks that's real nice comments , glad you like it. And Jeff next time I will be back again for colour and scroll adjustments. the tea is on it's way !

Dave
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Nice Dave- can't imagine how mind blowing the website will be!
keep us posted mate-
Bob Ficucell

Post by Bob Ficucell »

Dave,
Beautiful work!
If I missed it I'm sorry, did you design this in Photoshop or Illustrator?
Thanks for sharing. Bob
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hello Bob.
You know I like using Omega for the line work Omega 2.0 ( i need to upgrade) But the files are seperated up through illustrator and then into Photoshop.
I sometimes use the vector tools within Photoshop also for quick fixes but I am more used to my old way of vectoring and that is why I never really changed due to the tools within Gerbers software.
Hope that helps you.
Thanks Bob :D
Bob Ficucell

Post by Bob Ficucell »

Thanks Dave. Bob
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

English signwriters' have been sneakin up on us for years.
Boy, that sure looks civilized.

Excellent craftsmanship.
You scrawny little bloke, where you puttin it all?
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Just mind boggling....what else is there to say? You take us all to new limits. Congratulations on a splendid design. The legacy you will leave for future generations is fantastic.
Stuart Norton

Post by Stuart Norton »

Hi dave its taking awhile but you getting there. Seem to remember talking about web site a few years ago.

One more thing there is one little line out of place center right. but dont cry i will not tell anybody and who reads my post anyway :cry:

Good job man. :lol:

y eye man. divit giv up the brilliant cutting, to be full time photoshop designer.
Duncan Wilkie

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

What a spectacular design.
I really appreciate you showing us the process. I like to start with pencil sketches too. I find that they are difficult to translate to vectors. The vector art never seems to flow as well. You obviously don't have that problem. :D
A real work of art Dave. Thanks again for your insight.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Tony,Raymond, Duncan, Stuart and all you talented folk on your comments.
Glad you like it ,and always pleased to share things here with such a good bunch of people.
Dave