Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

posting photos.......?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

vance galliher

posting photos.......?

Post by vance galliher »

I guess I just don't get it !! I've wanted to post photos here for a long time, but found the process way over my head. Then I read Mike's post on How to Post Photos, sounded simple enough so I gave it a try. I posted a photo of my dog and cat just to see if I had fiqured it out how ......and much to my surprise it worked. (However, Mike removed it because he probably thought it wasn't sign related..... even though they are part of my sign studio staff ) Since then I have tried to post numerous sign photos , but every time I click submit, I get the red message that it's to big...more than 256k. So my question is............ how do I make a photo smaller than 256k ? I mean if Doug can fiqure it out, I should be able too........hahaaa
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
erik winkler

Re: posting photos.......?

Post by erik winkler »

Use photoshop and downsize them in true size or resolution.
It is a pain in the .... that we are only allowed to post these rediculous small photo's.
Especially when we all are interested in seeing the overal designs and then the details....
Just my opninion....
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

What program, if any, are you using to edit your pictures? If you tell us, I or someone else here may be able to go through it with you step by step to see where the problem is you are having.

I have several software photo editing programs here....Adobe, Corel, Kodak, Nikon, Fuji....and some others

For the most part I use CorelDraw and Corel Photo-Paint.

When I open a picture from my camera in Photo-Paint...the picture is for the most part huge in size and pixels.

That size and pixel resolution is determined by what megapixel setting you originally shot your photo at.

But once have it opened in your chosen photo editing program, you can reduce it's size and resolution.

That, I'm sure, you already know.

In CorelDraw or Photo-Paint...there is a "Resample Bitmap" dialog box, that you can call up and readjust the settings to your photo with. Once you have the photo adjusted to the Letterhead's upload specs, you can export or save the image as a jpg to your desktop (or wherever you save photos on your computer). And from there upload them to here.

You can even use the software that may have come with your camera to do the same pixel tinkering.

Just let us know the program you use. And I'm sure someone here can lead you out of the great pixel forest.

I too had a photo posted that Mike or some other site moderator took off.....it was a picture of my shop vehicle.
Sure, there was no lettering on the vehicle....but I assure you, it was my shop vehicle. :(

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

Windows XP; right click of .jpg or .bmp, top of menu, 'downsize',
Voila!
Mark
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

I'm use Corel x3, window xp. Robare, I don't know much about editing pictures. Mark,your way sounds simpler, but I'm not sure what you mean with "top of menu"..........where is that ? As you see, I don't know much about computers either.
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Vance,
Yep, you made a Test post and your test post worked. Since it was a successul post, I figured you'd put up something sign related in another thread.

I use photoshop to reduce my images, but photopaint and lots of other image editing software will do it. If these were taken with a digital camera, they are probably close to 2500 pixels wide and up to 5000 pixels wide. I believe we have the site set to limit images to no more than 700 pixels so people don't have to scroll across to view an image. So, when in you image editor, resize to 640 to 700 pixels and save it with a new name. Then upload that image as you did the dog image.

Normally, you want to save as a JPG at about quality 6-8.

Cheers,
Mike Jackson
Attachments
Resize to 700 pixels wide
Resize to 700 pixels wide
imageresize.JPG (121.78 KiB) Viewed 5937 times
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

well put Vance and I'm still chuckling....I did figger it out although all I do is resize to 6" and resolution of 97 with same quality attributes Mike uses....now that I see how HE does it i might try that one. Thats in photoshop as well. I also stick and "e-" infront so I know the quality etc of the pic at a glance. Most of
what I post are also huge files for my records.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Doug,
I normally save my files with names like "moosebull1_mar18_600". I might have more than one bull moose photo that day, so I just add the extra number. It is probable I'd have other moose shots, so the dates keep them from overwriting themselves if the photos get copied to a single moose folder. The 600 would indicate I saved it as a 600 pixel wide image.

For web images, it doesn't matter whether it is a 300 dpi image or a 72 dpi image. It only matters whether it is 600 pixels wide or 700 pixels wide. The file size of a JPG image will vary with the image quality you save it at...1-10. (sometimes 1-12). Quality six to eight is usually okay for web images.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I had a problem with Photoshop reducing the file size even after using image size ,the files still came out to large for this site .I found save for web easier and more reliable to save the file and keep it below the required size.
You might want to try that also Vance. In Photoshop under file scroll down and you will see save for web and devices. save the pixels as Mike states in his post, remember the height and width .
Dave
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Vance, here is a link to some Corel YouTube Video's, I think this is the program and version you have, if not...look around on YouTube, or go to www.corel.com for some help.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhotoVideoE ... N4ADGRcGWg

Let me know how this goes.

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

This image is 700 pixels wide, but I changed the resolution in the two screen grabs to show how it works. Decreasing the DPI increases the actual output size if printed, but has no affect on the web image if kept at 700 pixels.

M. Jackson
Attachments
700pixelexample2.JPG
700pixelexample2.JPG (176.68 KiB) Viewed 5878 times
700pixelexample1.JPG
700pixelexample1.JPG (176.95 KiB) Viewed 5879 times
700pixelexample3.JPG
700pixelexample3.JPG (122.83 KiB) Viewed 5877 times
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

One more even more dramatic...this one is at 1000 dpi. At 700 pixels, the dimensions drop to only .7 inches wide.

In Photoshop you go to Image>Image Size and change the Pixel Dimensions settings (to 700 or less) and leave the three boxes checked. The Document Size will automatically change.

Once saved to your hard drive, you can upload it by browsing to the file and uploading it.

Mike Jackson
Attachments
700pixelexample4.JPG
700pixelexample4.JPG (176.88 KiB) Viewed 5876 times
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons