Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

The Hensley Co.

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

BruceJackson

Re: The Hensley Co.

Post by BruceJackson »

a few dollars? OMG...that is just sad.

I've been doing a few mirrors in collaboration with a well-known artist. He paints his design on the glass and I do an aged mirror effect in white gold leaf. The large ones (1200mm x 900mm) go for around $10,000.

The prices of things just don't follow any logic or reason.
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Any chance of some pictures in a new thread please Bruce?
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

I would like to thank Roderick for his advice on shipping this clock, and Dean Hensley for his talent in creating it. I'm so pleased that it got here in one piece. From Missouri to Palm Springs Ca. is a n shoot at best!
Attachments
1980 Casablanca Fan Co. Clock measuring 53" from corner to corner across the 9 and 3.........screened Hensley Co 1980 on the front, and stamped on the back.
1980 Casablanca Fan Co. Clock measuring 53" from corner to corner across the 9 and 3.........screened Hensley Co 1980 on the front, and stamped on the back.
CasablancaLarge2.JPG (151.24 KiB) Viewed 24071 times
Anthony Bennett

That is one cool piece chris.
Noah Moore

Post by Noah Moore »

i tried to get that but had no luck. i didnt realize it was so big. im jealous.
THE SKYS THE LIMIT
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

Thought I would share another clock from The Hensley Co. collection. This picture doesn't do it justice.
Attachments
Carousel Clock from The Hensley Co. 1983. 26" across.
Carousel Clock from The Hensley Co. 1983. 26" across.
item211_1.jpg (18.76 KiB) Viewed 23906 times
Anthony Bennett

Brilliant, got any more to share please Chris?

What do you do with them, are you just a collector or are they used for inspiration?
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

I have over 60 different Signs and Clocks from The Hensley Co. in my collection. I've been collecting them since the 70's. Dean was a great guy, and a good friend. I think of him every day when I walk through my home.............he lives on through his Art!
Attachments
This is the only sign I've seen signed Dean Hensley.
This is the only sign I've seen signed Dean Hensley.
!BU4qHBQB2k~$(KGrHgoH-DsEjlLl0BVjBKPvloTgIg~~_3.jpg (114.01 KiB) Viewed 23835 times
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

Picked this up on E-bay for 25 bucks this morning. There is a "Yellow Version"of this still listed.
Attachments
1982 Hensley co. This one came in Maroon or yellow.
1982 Hensley co. This one came in Maroon or yellow.
!CC(JO0QBWk~$(KGrHqJ,!hoE0hmc6BEvBNK2l7iIWg~~_12.jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 23805 times
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Hey Doug, which glass piece of Noel's are you referring to?
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Noah Moore

Post by Noah Moore »

Larry White wrote:This is one of several the Hensley Co. made for the Casablanca Fan Co. It also was up on ebay and sold fro $25.

welp, i just picked this one up yesterday in great condition at a local thrift store. good news for me and bad news for old sign fellers......5 dollars. couldnt believe it.
THE SKYS THE LIMIT
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

Another from The Hensley Co. Dated February 1980
Attachments
roll1.jpg
roll1.jpg (228.2 KiB) Viewed 23674 times
Anthony Bennett

Now that is really nice.

I wonder what has taken the place of smokingproducts in the advertisng world?
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

Budweiser Sign by The Hensley Co. Given to me by Dean Hensley for my Bar in 1983. This sign is 53"x23". The photo doesn't do it justice. It still shows as new!
Attachments
bud2.JPG
bud2.JPG (44.97 KiB) Viewed 23580 times
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

Early 80's Hensley Co. Cow Clock I picked up for.99 cents. It looked like someone spilled a Coke on it 20 years ago, but it cleaned up well and ran after this picture was taken............
Attachments
$(KGrHqJ,!hIE1fwr!usDBNgq))5i3Q~~_12.jpg
$(KGrHqJ,!hIE1fwr!usDBNgq))5i3Q~~_12.jpg (48.39 KiB) Viewed 23467 times
tyler johnson

Post by tyler johnson »

really enjoying the pics of dean's work. he was my mom's cousin and it's nice to see his work getting appreciated by collectors.
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

The Hensley Co. made a couple of different Coors Beer Sign designs. This one is 30" from point to point................
Attachments
!B(6eUYgB2k~$(KGrHgoOKkMEjlLmV,uSBKewve7PDw~~_12.jpg
!B(6eUYgB2k~$(KGrHgoOKkMEjlLmV,uSBKewve7PDw~~_12.jpg (69.75 KiB) Viewed 23359 times
Anthony Bennett

Lovely piece Chris.
Iam suprised they seem to sell so cheaply as I would have thought they cost more to make than the auction prices they appear to be selling for.

I also wonder why so many are "offset" into a diamind shape was it something to do with available hanging space or for some atistic reason?

Thanks for sharing.
Billie DeBekker

Post by Billie DeBekker »

Thanks For Sharing all those.. Great Inspiration.

Does anyone Know how those Star Patterns were made.. Is that a textured Leaf/foil or was the glass textured with acid..
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

William,
Dean was a brilliant guy as I knew him. As his concept of recreating in his own style these grand old glass advertising signs of yesteryear, he
went to some fair depths. He designed the eye pleasing shapes of his frames, to the point of having custom carbide steel wood shaping blades custom made. He would drop the blades of to the wood shaping company, and retrieve them back at the end of the run so as not to be copied, and even at that he told me that he believed some stock went "out the back door". As other companies began to trace his materials in a bid to move in on his growing success with cheaper imitations, he opted to make moves to distance himself. The "stars" and other prismatic patterns you see in the pieces are stamped metal foiled papers appearing though clear glass sections. It was many years ago, but I remember Dean and myself talking about
the "competition" and the imitators and Dean mentioning about having his own private metal foil patterns made up that nobody else would have access to. I can not honestly say whether he ever actually had them made, and surely I wouldn't be able to point out which one's might be his own.
Pat
Jeff Lang

Post by Jeff Lang »

Pat,
Great story at the begining of this post, I really enjoyed the history & you sharing your thoughts.
I had to take a close look at the one Hensley Co. sign I have after reading this & found it very interesting. The transparent red glaze on the border of the Budweiser sign allowed the stamped foil sheet placed behind the glass to show through, under good lighting.
Cool but simple technique, & very effective.
Jeff
Attachments
budweiser - Hensley.jpg
budweiser - Hensley.jpg (49.94 KiB) Viewed 23252 times
budweiser closer.jpg
budweiser closer.jpg (203.75 KiB) Viewed 23272 times
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

There are several frame variations as well as variations in the signs and or mirrors themselves. The first signs from The Hensley Co. were unframed and simply hung from a chain....I will ad some pictures when I can........................
Attachments
Casablanca Fan Co Authorized dealer sign.........
Casablanca Fan Co Authorized dealer sign.........
!Bksv,+wBGk~$(KGrHqIH-DQEs777iVdbBLYlOZ1cd!~~_12.jpg (27.84 KiB) Viewed 23196 times
doc mott

Post by doc mott »

Hi, just came across this by accident. I went to school with Dean and work with him when he first started the company. I hand screened most of the first signs.
Here's my address if you have any questions.
aloha, doc mott
docmotts@gmail.com
Jim Moser

Post by Jim Moser »

This past weekend Dean's brother Tom was here in Grass Valley at our Airshow with some of Dean's old Indian motorcycles, including the Burt Munro "World's Fastest Indian" which has been completely restored to show condition..... it was in somewhat shoddy original condition when I saw it at Dean's house years ago.
I didn't get the chance to talk to Tom much, but was happy to learn that Dean's collection of original reverse glass signs is still in the family. :D
Life is much too important to be taken seriously
Anthony Bennett

$43 !!!!
surely the oak frame is worth that given its age?
Leo Calleros

Post by Leo Calleros »

Thats funny, I was the first bidder on that Hansley. Forgot it ended when it did. Next time.
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

been on a roadtrip for awhile........picked this up on e-bay this morning for $5 and $20 to ship.....I can't believe it- this is a beautiful sign.... 8) ....all of you very talented people, keep up the great work................will ad more pictures when I can find my camera......lol
Attachments
$(KGrHqJ,!igE4uwy)I9oBOP!yv1iRg~~_12.jpg
$(KGrHqJ,!igE4uwy)I9oBOP!yv1iRg~~_12.jpg (48.94 KiB) Viewed 22720 times
Clark Hahne

Post by Clark Hahne »

Hello,

I have a Hensley Arrowhead Water sign for sale. It's identical to the one at the beginning of this thread.I found this site while researching what it was. If anyone is interested please email chahne@mac.com or call 909-771-9438.

Thanks for the education!
Clark
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

A few months back I noticed this reverse glass saloon sign in my collection.

Thanks to my advanced age and a failing memory...I do not remember where or when I got this.

The frame was coming apart, and there were no framing points holding the cardboard backing to the frame.

Well I re-glued the frame back together and re-secured the cardboard to the backside.

And look what was printed on the cardboard. I hadn't noticed it until I flipped the cardboard over.

Not sure of the manufacturing date of this sign, but maybe someone on this forum has the answer.

And who's Bowman?

RMN
Attachments
Hensley-Saloon-1.jpg
Hensley-Saloon-1.jpg (252.07 KiB) Viewed 22431 times
Hensley-Saloon-2.jpg
Hensley-Saloon-2.jpg (215.15 KiB) Viewed 22427 times
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com