Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Peace Gold Leaf Workshop

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Peace Gold Leaf Workshop

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I had a Gold Leaf Glass Workshop last week with a chap from London. Seb Lester a very talented typographer designed some great looking artwork with the word ( Peace) for the course.
The lettering was acid etched with wheel cut punties. The stars were gilded in 16crt and 12crt and the lettering and scrolls is 23crt gold.We managed to gild the puntie circles in 12crt with a 23crt circle around them. This was Seb's first time gilding glass and signwriting, he did a great job. These glass panels will be framed in a modern black square frame.
Dave
detail.jpg
detail.jpg (132.19 KiB) Viewed 15383 times
seb.jpg
seb.jpg (173.38 KiB) Viewed 15376 times
gilding.jpg
gilding.jpg (156.03 KiB) Viewed 15373 times
detail-gilding-700.jpg
detail-gilding-700.jpg (158.24 KiB) Viewed 15373 times
puntie-and-acid-etching.jpg
puntie-and-acid-etching.jpg (171.33 KiB) Viewed 15371 times
hand-signwriting.jpg
hand-signwriting.jpg (148.07 KiB) Viewed 15374 times
Last edited by DAVE SMITH on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DAVE SMITH

Re: Peace Gold Leaf Workshop

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Some more images of the workshop.
workshop-700.jpg
workshop-700.jpg (142.07 KiB) Viewed 15394 times
puntie-detailing-gilded.jpg
puntie-detailing-gilded.jpg (191.64 KiB) Viewed 15395 times
lETTER-A-DETAIL.jpg
lETTER-A-DETAIL.jpg (182.42 KiB) Viewed 15382 times
Silver-Punties-detail.jpg
Silver-Punties-detail.jpg (134.82 KiB) Viewed 15375 times
GLASS-700.jpg
GLASS-700.jpg (127.98 KiB) Viewed 15375 times
FINISHED-GLASS-DESIGN.jpg
FINISHED-GLASS-DESIGN.jpg (139.99 KiB) Viewed 15371 times
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

You always was good, Smitty, and remain true to form.

Excellent job on the lettering, graphic design by Mr. Lester.

This finished glass is a beautiful example of gilded art destined to be displayed in a gallery.

Never doubt the English Gilder.

. . . Ever shtalwart!
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

That turned out very nice guys! Has a nice flow to it.
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Excellent stuff, thanks for the share Dave.
Mike Simpson

Post by Mike Simpson »

Wow! Being new to the art form, I am blown away by the control you guys exhibit in this type of work. Beautiful! I agree with Tony, it belongs in a gallery.
Mike Simpson
picture framemaker and artist
http://www.mikesimpsonart.com
Noah Moore

Post by Noah Moore »

you look so handsome
THE SKYS THE LIMIT
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

BEAUTIFUL! :D
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks lads .It was a good workshop, better than the one which I had a week before with a chap called Nora from Kansas. lol
Dave
Noah Moore

Post by Noah Moore »

:shock:
THE SKYS THE LIMIT
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Looks great Dave ! How are you get the gold leaf back up art work on , by screening or hand painting ?
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Rod. The artwork is screened on these panels but in some places I did add more scrolls but it was difficult.. I like this method for fine details as it would be impossible do achieve this by hand.
I can get down pretty tight by brush on most stuff but when it needs to look right and unform screening always wins in my opinian. I will admit I do miss the feel of a brush in your hand when backing up some of these panels, I make it a point to use the brush after the screening for the rest of the work.
On bigger glass panels a brush is king. If you have plenty of acid work all that is needed is to follow the edge and the carbon paper line...
Thanks Rod.
Dave
Kerri Lynn Brownlee

Post by Kerri Lynn Brownlee »

Yet another weak knee moment! :oops:

What an inspiration! One of these days when I grow up, I want to be able to do something like that. :D

I know...PRACTICE!

Kerri Brownlee
Glorious Graphics and Gifts
Mayflower, Ar
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

How do you make your screens Dave ? Just came back from Ron's work shop where taught the use of photo emulsion. I was raised using hand cut film , Now I plottercut film and hand adhere but loth it. I would like to get set up with an emulsion methoed system
Susan Banasky

Post by Susan Banasky »

Dave....B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!
Lars Wacherhausen

Post by Lars Wacherhausen »

Really nice!!

Does it requires some advanced tools to make those round punties?

-Lars
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

Dave, could you explain the first photo of this series. It looks like he is placing a round piece of material (the 12k leaf ?) attached to a piece of taped show card (?) into the punty. Since the punty is mirror on front, it had to be water sized. Did you cut round pieces from a 12k leaf? It is amazing how this one photo has me so baffled. I’m seeing a small circle of thin leaf already on the glass at the lower right while the rest of the piece is hovering over the glass? Then I look at it again….and I’m not sure what I’m seeing. I’m sure it a very simple thing going on here, but it’s an optical mind twist for me. Thanking you for a reply to set my mind at ease.
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

.....upon further review, I understand that the black is the paper pattern taped to front of glass and that's the optical illusion I'm seeing, and the punties have not been cut yet, but what is the circle shape and what's he doint with it ?
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Russ McMullin

Post by Russ McMullin »

That is spectacular. Superb.
Duncan Wilkie

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

Glass work is the highest form of the signwriters' craft. I truly believe that the glass work being done today is as good as any in history. Dave's work is the distillation of many modern artisans' unyielding dedication to the craft . True to the name Letterhead, he is recognizing and preserving the skills of the masters, experimenting and innovating and willingly sharing all he's learned. I'm thankful that Dave documents his work so history will reflect this golden century. Kudos to all of you that hold the tip high.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Vance the first image with the circle piece is actually a cut puntie circle which is gilded in 12crt. I then remove the excess silver (stanley blade) and water gild 23 crt over the top. This will then look from the front a silver puntie and a 23 crt outline around it. thats all your seeing . Lars the wheel to cut a puntie like this is a stone wheel shaped to the same curcumfrance as the wheel, if this is slightly out it will start to form an oval cut. You can probably find the tools in the States somewhere, I know Denver Glass make some stone wheels..I do come across original wheels occasionally over here. Sometimes the wheels have been used extensivly and they will not cut the perfect punties but from experience I can still manage to work the ovals to a circle.
Rod I used to make my own screens but due to space I find it easier to buy my own screens and then either take them to a friend locaclly and use his gear for a fee or just pay him to do it,it can be messy sometimes. I use 5 star rather than emulsion (red film) the screen mesh is 90 fine work..... hope all that makes sense,writing quick and no time time to check it........

Thanks Duncan , Russ and others for all your comments on this glass sign.

Dave
Robert Schwieger

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Hello Dave, I noticed that you referred to "90" regarding screen mesh. This seems rather course or am I reading it incorrectly. I had been advised to use 200 mesh to 320 for the fine detail which seems to be working just fine. Although the courser mesh would deposit a heavier backing coat it would seem to lose some of the fine detail. Your advice would be welcomed, as usual. Thanks. Bob
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I use a 90 mesh for fine work Robert, it must be a different number set up for you guy's in the States. It says the mesh size on the alluminium screens over here this one says 90 ,will look into it more incase they have it marked up wrong... Thanks
Dave