Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

keeping quick size drives my nutty..........

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

vance galliher

keeping quick size drives my nutty..........

Post by vance galliher »

I don’t use quick size very often because my preference is to use slow, but I do like having a ½ pint of it around for certain applications now and then. My problem with quick size (be it Rolco or One Shot) is that I can never seem to have it stay fluid in the can or squeeze bottles very long before it turns to a congealed jello-like matter. I always blow into the can before closing and turn bottles upside down. I usually get about 1/3 of a can use, then it starts going south on me. How do you keep your quick size flowing? Any tricks out there ?........... Thanks for any replies
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Jeff Lang

Re: keeping quick size drives my nutty..........

Post by Jeff Lang »

Vance,
I have had the same problem & the thing that works best for me is putting glass floral beads (about the size of a lima bean)
glass floral beads.jpg
glass floral beads.jpg (58.97 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
in the pint can to replace any size I used. The idea was to displace as much of the air in the can as possible to prevent the size from gelling

Jeff
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Vance......I just turn the one-shot can upside down and always have a fresh layer when re-opened. I couldn't say anything about the other brands as like you I go for slow size and always blow heavily into the can before closing. I have quite a few old can of Bull Spar as well as others that are still fine doing this. I recall a late night conversation with the Boss some years ago were he mentioned that varnishes (size is essentially that) oxygenate rather than evaporate and turn to the jelly you mention. Blowing into the can displaces the oxygen( which actually is lighter) but the lid on that 1-squirt is pretty big. Would have been better if they kept the original can design although thats a consumers perspective.
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

I use fast size a lot on my small house numbers and property markers. I'll make a couple of hundred signs from a 1/2 pint and I always get all the way to the bottom of the can.....always!

When it's new, I insert a sheet metal screw in the lid. To use the size, shake the can for a minute to stir the contents. Then, turn the can upside down and remove the screw. Squeeze the sides of the can (old oil can style) until you have as much as you need. Now, before turning the can right side up, put the screw back in. Clean up around the screw with a rag as best as you can.

Here's a shot with several screws in a pint and quart cans.......after the holes get gummed up a bit, I insert a new screw in a different spot.

Here's a shot inside this can. (It's the first time it's ever been opened)

No skin.....no nuthin.

This is why it works...

When you squeeze out the size (paint), air has to replace it. The air has to travel thru the size (paint) to get into the can. As it goes thru, it picks up vehicle. Now the air in the can is saturated with vehicle and a skin will never form. btw, I use the sheet metal screw because it lies flat on the lid and it's easy to still stack your paint cans.

It works very well.

Joe,
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

...thanks for replies. Joe, I have used the screw method before, but never with the "trick" of turning the can upside down when replacing the screw. I think that will be the key to success...thanks
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Yup,

Upside down IS the trick!

BTW, my son & family live in Bend. If I get a chance, I'd love to look you up when we get out there.....looks like it would be a great ride thru the mountains.

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!