Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

thinner for slow size to airbrush ?....

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

vance galliher

thinner for slow size to airbrush ?....

Post by vance galliher »

.............i searched, but nothing came up. thanks for replies.
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Lee Littlewood

Re: thinner for slow size to airbrush ?....

Post by Lee Littlewood »

So Vance, you want to apply slow size with an airbrush, right?

It seems like you need a reducer to get the size liquid enough to spray well, but then it shouldn't affect the size's curing process.

I'd try Darby's Reducer - it was designed as a spray reducer; or turpentine - which is a very powerful "diluent" or viscosity reducer, and it seems like it would go well with slow sizes, but it is carcinogenic so wear a good mask.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Eric - it looks as if you are airbrushing a blend with the tinted size? Did you do the tops with clear size , or the whole thing in clear and then a light fog of tint into the wet?

We don't use the term "white spirits" in the US. I think it is a generic term, including what we here call "mineral spirits" or "paint thinner", and those are mixtures, so the "thinner" you buy at the hardware store can be different from the "thinner" at a paint store. (Kent, am I correct?)

Here is from the Shell website - still not very clear:

"What are white spirits and mineral spirits blends?

White spirits and mineral spirits blends are mixtures of paraffins, cycloparaffins and aromatic hydrocarbons with boiling ranges which typically lie between 150°C and 220°C. They are clear water-white liquids, chemically stable and non-corrosive and possess a mild odour. Examples of the Shell Chemicals range are LAWS (Low Aromatic White Spirit), ShellSol* 15 and ShellSol H.

How are white spirits and mineral spirits blends used?

White spirits and mineral spirits blends are used as solvents or diluents in thinners for paints and varnishes, paint driers, colour printing of fabrics, metal cleaning and degreasing, preparation of furniture, shoe and floor polishes, dry cleaning formulations and in the rubber industry."
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Haha I had these same translation problemsevery time here on the forum.
To be honoust you made me hasetating again...

There is turpentine: natural distilled product from cooking pine trees.
It is a mixture of different solvents.
Then there is a 'chemically' made brother which is no blend and leaves allmost no oily residue.
I used the later one.

Step one blending, step two let it dry completely and step three completely cover it with clear size.
Ofcourse it could easily done by stiping blending.

Erikieee
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

There are many grades of mineral spirits commonly called thinner. Pure "white" spirits are rarely found for sale in the US and to my recollection only produced here by Union 76 although it would appear that Shell might be making it again. Since 76 is part of Conoco-Phillips now they may have changed too. That is what a good paint manufacturer uses as the tail solvent in alkyd enamels. High Temp and Low Temp reducers are made from white spirits with appropriate additives for adjustment to temperature range. What we usually find in retail hardware and paint stores is oleum grade which tends to be slightly oily. This impedes drying and hinders the reduction capability of the thinner.

As to a good reducer for spray or airbrushing gold size, I have always used a 50/50 mix of pure spirits of turpentine and boiled linseed oil. You can substitute high temp reducer as it works within the same range as turps. Darby's reducer is similar as it was developed from the RK series of Dupont Duluxe retarding reducer...high temp reducer. You can also use slow oil size instead of the linseed oil but that tends to make a mixture that has a really long time to come to tack. In any case, one should do some step wedge testing so you know how the mixture you choose will come to tack.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Good to see you back Kent.
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu