Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Introduction and questions of a DIY nature

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Lorenzo Petersson

Introduction and questions of a DIY nature

Post by Lorenzo Petersson »

Hello Letterheads!

Being new and a virgin poster i thought intros were in order:
I'm Lorenzo Petersson, penfreak, graffitiwriter and fine artist turned apprentice signwriter. I've been dealing with letters and an array of related tools for roundabout 15 years and since maybe 3 years i've been practicing pinstriping and lettering with evolving results. I'm in my own apprenticeship, meaning i scrounge the web and talk to any close at hand oldtimers i can find, and then i try to ape techniques i see and learn the trade by doing it wrong. This forum is really useful for researching and learning so thanks for letting me troll around here and pick up your knowledge.
I've been putting of my intro for a while now, guess the amount of skill and the level of discussion is kinda intimidating. Not nearly as it is totally inspiring tho! But yeah, i've been wallflowering :)

Been putting off a project that involves transfering a paper design onto a wooden, basecoated surface, maily because of not being able to afford gold leaf and not having a trusty method to tansfer the design.

I've been searching for a while for a top notch method to make my own pouncebag but i'm coming up short on what to put in it. A friend gave me a bucket of cheap quality, finely ground yellow ochre pigment so i thought i'd try that in a thin sock with a bunch of cotton in it. Would you speak against it? Would you suggest some other powder to use? I've asked my local artist store for regular powder chalk but they don't have any. Ash? Drawing coal? I'm at a loss guys, glad for any help.

Thanks
L.
Doug Bernhardt

Re: Introduction and questions of a DIY nature

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Lorenzo....welcome aboard. Pouce bags are probably best if you use charcoal powder or regular talcum for your dark backgrounds. You really only need a "whisp" of it so go lightly right? A heavy deposit will cause problems when you start painting. If you only have one pattern to transfer you might be best off with Saral paper. It's sort of like carbon paper and you buy it in rolls.
Lorenzo Petersson

Hi Doug, thanks!
Ok, ill see if i can get my hands on either of them, and i won't go postal with the pouncing, good to know.
Saral paper too, i'll try to find it. I live in sweden so i might not find the same brand though, maybe something similar?
Thanks!
Doug Bernhardt wrote:Hi Lorenzo....welcome aboard. Pouce bags are probably best if you use charcoal powder or regular talcum for your dark backgrounds. You really only need a "whisp" of it so go lightly right? A heavy deposit will cause problems when you start painting. If you only have one pattern to transfer you might be best off with Saral paper. It's sort of like carbon paper and you buy it in rolls.
Chris Fernandes

Post by Chris Fernandes »

A baby sock works well as a pounce bag.
Bob Sauls

Post by Bob Sauls »

Any soft cloth will do. I like to use charcoal dust in the bag I have placed a piece of steel wool in it to act as a bit of a buffer and weight.
happy pouncing.
Mike Faig

Post by Mike Faig »

Not trying to hijack the thread.
Doug, I've had experience with some very old saral paper, graphite in color, leaving behind some residue. The box says it can be erased like graphite, but on 1shot it just doesn't work. Any tips?
Lorenzo Petersson

Baby socks, soft cloth - check! I'll try that, i'm about to bring some heavy powdercloud-justice down in the search for the ultimate pouncebag. Steel wool, i'll try that! My dad went on about grandpa using cotton as padding as well. I'm thinking a layered combo of both, and perhaps even adding a kitchen loofa for stability.

Thanks a bunch maestros!

Mike - no problem, i've got enough ideas to work with for quite some time now :)
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

Mike Faig wrote:Not trying to hijack the thread.
Doug, I've had experience with some very old saral paper, graphite in color, leaving behind some residue. The box says it can be erased like graphite, but on 1shot it just doesn't work. Any tips?
Simple Green work well for removing lines as well as wiping a rag behind the ear for that drip ghost or other small oops.

Lorenzo Petersson have a look at the Han-see pounce pad or on ebay for quilters pounce pad.
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Lorenzo Petersson

Tyler Tim wrote:
Mike Faig wrote:Not trying to hijack the thread.
Simple Green work well for removing lines as well as wiping a rag behind the ear for that drip ghost or other small oops.

Lorenzo Petersson have a look at the Han-see pounce pad or on ebay for quilters pounce pad.
Hey, hi-tech stuff! If all homemaking fails this is what'll do, thanks! :)