Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Got my Sign work on TV

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Terry Colley

Got my Sign work on TV

Post by Terry Colley »

Landed a nice job with the BBC last year for a period drama which is being shown on Sunday nights. Called THE VILLAGE it is a story of one mans life in a Northern village spanning the whole of the 20th century. All the signs were hand painted. I did not get much input on the designs or colour schemes at first , All of that is done by the Art department but as it went on I did get more of a look in. It was one of the most interesting projects I have done seeing how all the filming works. Also very demanding 'When do you need this for? ' I would ask 'NOW' said the director. That's just the way in this industry. I don't as a rule do the facebook thing but my daughter has set up a page for me here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Terry-Co ... 9163677420
This has led onto some more TV work
Attachments
shops.jpg
shops.jpg (190.27 KiB) Viewed 6558 times
Terry Colley
Stockport, England
Signwriter/maker
erik winkler

Re: Got my Sign work on TV

Post by erik winkler »

Very nice to see it Terry.
We have BBC one, two, three and four in Nederland.
Is there an other change to see your work on the television?
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Must be a thrill to see your work on TV, Terry.

Went to check out your Facebook page, since I'm a relative newcomer on that scene as well. Very nice work. Wasn't able to get the BBC link to work but sometimes those BBC links don't work in the US. I think we first need to sing "God Save the Queen" or something like that before we're allowed access.
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Brilliant Terry- I've been watching that and noticed the " proper' signwork. with interest... so often as you know in films and telly- that's NOT the case and it ruins a good film.- they spend a fortune on getting the right uniform for policemen.. then use terrible not period appropriate signs !

Well done ,Nice one !- Hope they see the value in your skills mate and long may it continue.
( do you get a mention in the credits?) :D
Terry Colley

Post by Terry Colley »

Erik : it's on BBC1 sunday night 9pm BST,
Wayne: I did not get my name on the credits but I did get my name on a cheque, I think you have to be directly employed or a big name to get listed
Thanks all Terry
Terry Colley
Stockport, England
Signwriter/maker
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

My experience in this field is very limited, but what I have done let me know that there is not a schedule to this type work - it's NOW! You don't say that you'll be there on Thursday. You are expected to do it right at the moment and not take too long getting it done.

But, it's fun to see all the work that goes into making a movie or commercial.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Well done Terry. I'm a real sucker for those BBC period programs. They show up on PPS and TVO here occasionally. One day you'll need to tell me how you're daughter set up that page to help with work flow. The new of world marketing has me stumped.
Ash Bishop

Post by Ash Bishop »

Nice one Terry, It's great to see it on there. I've been watching the series since you gave me the heads up about your involvement.

Waynes so right when he says about the money spent on TV period drama's attention to detail, then they put up a TNR vinyl thing on a white background with no boarder, fraes or shadow.

Keep it up Terry and let us know your next show.