Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

LeFranc 12 Hr Slow Size

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kevin W Betz

LeFranc 12 Hr Slow Size

Post by Kevin W Betz »

As embarrassed as i am to say, i have not tried anything New.
We still have a Pint of the Old Formula left.

I figure i can extend this for a Year or so.

May i ask for the Pros & Cons of any Product
you may recommend to replace this ?

Thank you
kevin betz

ps: If anyone has some to spare, i would be interested
in a small purchase.
erik winkler

Re: LeFranc 12 Hr Slow Size

Post by erik winkler »

Never ever cut down on the cost of good size.
Gold leaf costs way to much to budget on your size.
Good luck.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Kevin W Betz

Post by Kevin W Betz »

Erik, I agree 100%. All I have ever used was 12 hr LeFranc. I know they have a New Formula but have
heard mixed reviews. What do you use for a 12hr size ?

kb
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I was told by the mastergilders from Europe that if you order the latest batch of 12 hours le franc you will have the perfect quality as they had 60 years ago. Just be sure to trust your supplier enough that he will not sell you his old of the shelf cans, because then you could risk to receive the ones that were no good. If you have some le franc size of the last two years, then your good to go.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Kevin W Betz

Post by Kevin W Betz »

Thank You Erik.

kevin
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

I did a test in May 2012 with my "new" L&B 12 hour [sort of a tan label, it said: "Mixtion (gold size) - 12 hours (lead free)" bought in 2010] against my "old" L&B 12 hour (yellow label) from '05 or so. They looked and acted very similar - gold laid at 12 hours was drowned, after 24 it was so-so, after 2 days it had good shine and after 5 days it was fractionally brighter. That's the way I have always found L&B slow to act - I never understood the "12 Hours" on the label. The interesting difference to me was that the new size was notably smoother - the tests were side by side on a piece of aluminum, and when held at the right angle you could read newsprint in the new size but just see black wiggles in the old size. Now that might be because the old can was old and down to the bottom (that's why I was forced to open the new can), but unless the longevity turns out different I actually prefer the lead free version.

I don't know anything about other versions, just
(A) yellow label; with lead; old and discontinued
(B) tan label; "lead free" on label.
Oh, and just a random thought on the LeFranc 3 hour size: It has changed some. I never used the old stuff (yellow label, and I think for awhile a mauve label), but the new version (white label) seems to gild fine. Just one thing - DON'T MIX ANYTHING WITH IT! You can't mix it with the LeFranc slow size, or with Rolco quick, or anything. So says Mark at Sepp leaf, and I believe him. He even suggests using UTC colors to tint it, rather than a drop of 1Shot.
Kevin W Betz

Post by Kevin W Betz »

Lee,

Thank You for your Information.
I will try a sample piece tomorrow with the Tan Label.

Kevin
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Lee....it would be great to see the results from a another point of "duress" Greg Heger described to me some years ago about some sort of srub testing he did. Went something like laying the 2 sizes beside each other and see how differently they react next day.

Also I'm noticing how different the open times are between you and I. I've been really pleased (although I never did the Heger test) with a german size I get from art essentials. Have hardly noticed the change after Lefrancs although I haven't tried it (Lefrancs) since my disappointment with a new can quite a few years ago.
Kevin W Betz

Post by Kevin W Betz »

Hi Doug.

Can you tell me the name of the German Size ?
At this point, I am willing to try.

Kevin
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

The German size is Luna, available is available in 3, 12 and 24 hour. I usually used a 50% mix of 3 and 12, and is generally ready in 5 hours. The 'new' Le Franc is the tan / brown label: http://www.charbonnelshop.fr/mixtion-a- ... m_store=fr

I have no personal experience with the new le franc, but like Lee, have heard from a friend with the new le franc, size of 50% 3 and 12 hours, and was still wet after 18 hours. At that rate, humidity / temperature may be extreme, or the formulation is open longer. My experience with le franc yellow label with 50/50 of 3 and 12 was generally ready to gild in 9 hours.

The Luna is free of any particulates. The original le franc / yellow can, always had particles in the size, and had to be strained. From Lee's description, it sounds like that was rectified in the new formula.

Don't mean to answer for Doug, but switched to Luna on his recommendation. I find it to be an excellent size, with consistent, reliable results.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com