Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Space Cadet

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Gavin Soo

Space Cadet

Post by Gavin Soo »

Hi there everyone,
From a Newbie in London.
I had my first go at basic strokes and lettering yesterday. First thing that I learnt is that I'm a loong way off my first alphabet.
Anyway, while I get on with practicing, I do have a design. The general advice I got yesterday about spacing wasn't that clear to me. I wasn't taking notes either.
The spacing looks about right, maybe a bit more needed between the 'W' and the 'I' of 'WIDE'?
Not sure about the space between the 'L' and the 'I' of 'LISSON', either.
Any advice* appreciated.
Cheer,
Gavin

[edit] *Besides needing a bigger pad.
Attachments
PICT0038.JPG
PICT0038.JPG (25.31 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
Lee Littlewood

Re: Space Cadet

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Umm, maybe the cart is coming before the horse? Remember the Signpainter's Trinity:
LAYOUT
COLOR
LETTERING
in that order.

Your letters look fine to me, but what is the layout? Quick thumbnail sketches are a great technique. How generous are the borders?
Basically, how does the proposed sign fit into the real world where it will be living?
Close focus on the lettering is the last part of designing a sign, although I will admit that it is a whole lot of fun.
where am i? Now, when i need me...
Richard C Beck III

Post by Richard C Beck III »

The most important thing is your comprehension and awareness about the amount of aesthetic space between the individual letters. What Lee said is so true. Your attached photo leaves out some information about the entire layout.

Suggestion: Place the proposed (in scale) sketch at a distance of six feet or so from you and place it upside down. This will help you critically examine the assembled letters and the space between them.

My father taught me this little trick in 1959 when I was 12. That's when all the letters were hand drawn.
Richard Beck, We stop bicycling because we are getting old; we are getting old because we stop bicycling.
Joe Morreale

Post by Joe Morreale »

My father taught me, back in the 70s, to look at your letters and imagine the negative space being sand. Try to have equal amounts of sand between letters as much as possible. I was a way I was able to understand proper letter spacing.