Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Site Rediscovered...

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Arlo Kalon

Site Rediscovered...

Post by Arlo Kalon »

Apparently I joined here quite awhile back and forgot. Since that time there was a stretch where I put my business on hold to accept a ridiculously high paying position at what was then the second largest Vtwin motorcycle manufacturer in the country. They were known for production custom cycles with no two ever alike and I was the pinstriper. It was quite a feat when we were up to 85 bikes a week. I held that gig for four years. Not long after that I was declared totally disabled as a result of 18 major surgeries and nearly went stir crazy with all my sudden free time. I was 57 at the time. I know a prolific Denver area guitar builder who got me started transferring my hand lettering skills into doing pearl inlay work on acoustic guitars. Who better to put a name in pearl on the neck of a guitar than a 40+ year signpainter?

Since all 3 of my kids were married within a year of each other and moved out, my wife and I just sold our house in town. In a few weeks we will be closing on the purchase of a fabulous custom home in the heart of Texas horse country. We have an acre of land and are going to build a small horse barn to get a horse for grandkids to ride. It will also have a studio room on one end to contain my custom easel built for me by an old Nazi aircraft builder who makes replica full size WW2 aircraft. I am going to start doing repro antique signs to add to my meager disability income. This coming summer is going to be very exciting for us. My wife retired before this school year after 33 years of teaching kindergarten. We have an RV and are planning many trips around the country. I am most excited however about the new sign studio/pearl inlay shop and the work I will be doing there.

I was surprised to see in the member list that my friend of 45 years Alton Gillespie apparently hasn't made it here yet. I'll be telling him about this place. Glad to be with all of ya now!
Hand lettered signs... the ultimate urban art
Anthony Bennett

Re: Site Rediscovered...

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Sounds like an interesting future ahead for you.
Doug Bernhardt

Re: Site Rediscovered...

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Welcome Home! Look forward to hearing your tales from a life in transition