Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Printing pages on some web sites

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Printing pages on some web sites

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hello all,
It seems a lot of web designers like to cram ads and sidebars along the left side of a web page, then put their story or page content on the right side of the page. Some of those span the entire width of the monitor.

Some...(few)...offer a "print this story" button which removes the ads, but many will chop off the right side of the story if the page was designed too wide. Do you find the same problems?

I have had some luck with selecting a block of a page, then "Print Selection" in the Print dialog box. Some web sites are designed with Frames...or mulitple pages within one page. You can often right mouse click on a section of the Framed page and get the address for just that Frame/Page, copy the URL and paste into the address bar. Sometimes that helps.

When I first started messing around with web pages, 640 pixels was the recommended max width. That was based on the old 640 x 480 monitor resolution. I've played around with page sizes and see that my printer will print up to about 730 pixels. Anything over that gets clipped. The Hand Lettering Forum banner at the top of this page is 715 pixels, so unless someone posts a huge image, most Forum pages will print fine.

I've looked in my printer dialog boxes for a command to "fit to page", but so far, I don't see one in my Epson printer driver. If anyone has a simple solution for this, I'd like to hear about it.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons

Post by Guest »

Mike,

One thing I've done in that kind of situation is to select all of the text that I want to print, copy and paste it into a new word document. Besides the advantage of getting around what you've described, you can now change the size of the type, or the font, to fit your taste. Another plus is that you can edit out any unnecessary fluff.
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

sometimes printing in "landscape" mode helps, but not all the time.

RMN
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Robare and Don,
As always, all suggestions to solve a problem are welcome. One might work on some sites, and others in different situations.

Also, some sites have "Frames". Those are pages built with two or more "pages" merged to appear as one. If you enter Letterville or 4Edgetalk, for example, then click on the BB link, the resulting page will be framed with a top header page, a side bar page, and then the message board. The two extra pages can take up a lot of monitor real estate. If you right mouse click on the message board section, click on Properties, you can see the address for just that part. If you copy and paste that URL into your browser and hit GO, you will see only the BB. Sometimes that helps make it possible to print that section.

Also, on framed pages, you will find the option to print individual frames in your Print menu. On my Epson, it is buried one layer deep in the printer tabs.

Hope this helps! More suggestions are appreciated.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
steve purcell

Post by steve purcell »

I now use mozilla firefox for my browser.
Not only does it give me better popup & virus protection, it also allows me to right click and to view/print only the frame that I choose.
steve purcell
purcell woodcarving & signmaking
cape cod, ma