Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

First $$$ Window gilding job....

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Fielder

First $$$ Window gilding job....

Post by Doug Fielder »

First off, thank you everyone who has helped me with my problems and prep. I though that I would share my experience and also post the pictures tomorrow.
I learned glass gilding from Bendon Brandon at the SOG (Society of Gilders) event held in Lancaster, Pa a few years ago, so I am far from an expert and have only actually done it about 4 times total (on glass).
The job was done Boston Style, with outlines and matte centers, both of which were done through paintmask, to help with speed and accuracy. It would take me a few hours to outline the simple line of copy due to my lack of experience. Anyway, I learned the hard way about quick drying soft Fine Gold's Back-up, pulling up with the vinyl mask, I had to just about re-outline the whole thing again freehand. Lesson learned, outline was not faster, done with paintmask, but matte centers (really hard to see) came out great!
Possibly next time I will use Japan color to outline? Any input guys?
After that fiasco, I used my old gelatin capsulesand a little detergent in filtered water (worked well in test) with a spray bottle (thanks guys for that tip!), prepped according to LeBlanc's book and with my trust old tip and lots of loose gold, I gilded away into the night. The first gild was a little rough to start, but smoothed out toward the end. I found that re-floating the gold is more difficult with the spray bottle than the water size brush I used in the past, but it still came out ok (just with lots more holidays). I let the first gild sit over night and all the next day (I have a day job), I rubbed it down to find lots of holidays, and laid the second gild with just the 2 geletin capsules in water and no detergent which went a lot easier. Again, I let that sit over night. The next day, I rubbed that down and I backed it up with Fine Gold's Back-up enamel and cleaned off the excess gold with cotton and water. I am not a pro, so it looks great from 5 ft away and even better from across the street :o
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!
Doug Fielder

Things to do next time....

Post by Doug Fielder »

Here are a few things I think I might do next time....

Plan on a whole day to get the whole window prepped and laid out and outlined etc. lay in the oil size for the centers, and then gild the centers with patent gold (or lemon gold etc...) and then burnish the centers with plaid or engine turned. Then come back the next day and water gild the whole thing. I feel I need more research to find a good outlining paint that is beginner friendly. My first attempt back in '98 was outlined in 1-shot red through a vinyl mask, which worked pretty well, just took a while to dry. Having not ever used Japans, are they still mallable after they dry like 1-Shot?
Other than that, like LeBlanc said, 100 or so leafs later, it should start getting easier. I will also work harder to make sure the tiny bit of gold around the outlines is totally eradicated too. I am debating whether or not to back it up with clear too. Either WW window spar or my Chromatic COV. Any thought on that as well?

Thanks guy again for all your help. My mentors haven't really done any window gilding, so I needed to rely on this board for most of my help.
Does anyone have Brendon Brandon e-mail or phone number?

Thank you.
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...Sounds like you've got the bug. Have you made any sample pieces yet?

...BTW, glass work was traditionally learned only AFTER the student became totally proficient at hand lettering. Maybe next time aropund you could (attempt to) do this work without using paint masks.

...IMHO , this is a classic technique that is best performed with an understanding of it's traditional materials and methods.
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Doug, If you are using a computer mask method for the outlines, cut a double outline & peel it away a minute or two after painting, this will soften the edge of the paint & not create a "step". Paint a few letters then go back & peel. You can use around 5% 1-shot hardener in the back-up enamel, this improves it no end. And don't forget to stir that back-up well before use. When the outlines are dry you can very lightly rub them with 0000 steel wool to lower any ridges even more, and add 1 drop of IVORY washing up liquid per pint of size to pull the gold to the lines. Stay away from Bon Ami until the final clean up & use it dry and sparingly. Lately we have not bothered with a varnish outline as it seems to fail quickly & pull the edges with it, but that is a matter of choice.
If you can use a screen for the oulines the job can be done very quickly.

Noel Weber & myself will be running some Gold Leaf workshops this year covering just about every tecnique, if anyone is interested

Hope this helps, John Studden
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Doug, If you take a look at www.johnstudden.com this will give you an idea of the techniques we will be covering in the workshops. John
John Studden
Doug Fielder

Post by Doug Fielder »

WOW, thanks guys! I still have to get pictures, but will post them soon.

Great info too. Billy Bob, I am somewhat a product of modern society, trying to make-up for my lack of experience with technology. I can letter and outine etc., I am just slower than dirt. I do still practice my lettering and have a small portfolio at www.pinheadlounge.com/DougFielder
I know that the Gold Men were the most experienced guys around, and one day I too will be able to whip these things out liek they did.

John, I love your stuff, that is the level I hope to attain with a few more years of experience. I have seen your stuff also in AMAL and use it for inspiration. I would be very interested in taking one of your classes, when you finalize a date and location, let me know.

Thank you again!
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Doug Fielder

Finally a picture!

Post by Doug Fielder »

Well, here it is, the best picture I could get of my handy work. The rest of the store's pictures are on my online portfolio.

Like I said earlier, Boston Style with matte centers, black outline and the "boutique" is matte gold as well. Thank you Mike for the great fonts too!
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Doug, From the photo it looks like you are learning pretty fast.........nice job.
John Studden
Dennis Davis

Post by Dennis Davis »

Doug, that looks great to me. I have an interest in doing gilding but have yet to give it a try. I just ordered some supplies from Kristi today so maybe I can play next week.

John, where are you and Mr. Weber going to hold your gold leaf workshop. I'm guessing you'll be in So. Calif. which, since I live in Boise, would be a bummer. I haven't met Noel Weber but, I have wandered through his shop. Lots of eye candy there. I stopped in with the idea of meeting him but, unfortunately, he was busy with a client. Since I tend to be shy, I haven't been back since.
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Dennis, You should contact Noel, the classes will be held alternately between Boise & Los Angeles, & possibly some travelling workshops.
No set dates yet, but we are working on the Artwork...........Thanks for the enquiry.
John Studden