Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Removing mirroring

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Removing mirroring

Post by Roderick Treece »

After a peice is mirrored and has the art work apllied (backed up) I've been useing silver strip to remove the silver thats not backed up.Is there a formula mixture that removes the silver and yet will not harm the edges of the backed up silver.I'm thinking maybe my mix (from Sarah) might be to strong?Or is there somthing else to use?
I've notice that one of my samples has a little bit of tarnishing on the edge of the silver.The sample was rinsed with clean water and painted out with one-shot so it's totally sealed.

Roderick
Larry White

Backing up silver...

Post by Larry White »

Rod-
Be careful what you use to back up the silver. Many products will cause it to tarnish. Might I suggest using a mirror back up paint, or asphaltum varnish. When using silver strip, I prefer to moisten a paper towel with it and rub it over the area. If you allow it to puddle at the paint edge, it can undercut slightly. -LW
Robare M. Novou

Silver Removal

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Have you tried to dilute the silver strip?

I seem to remember doing that...I think I even mixed in some bon ami, by wiping the damped diluted silver strip rag across a bon ami bar a swipe or two...and then going after the unbacked up silver.

RMN