Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Strong's Book of Design

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Raymond Goins

Strong's Book of Design

Post by Raymond Goins »

I would like to find out the difference between the 1910 book and the 1917 book. Does the 1917 have more color? ect.
I am under the impression that the 1910 one is alot shorter in pages. Am I right?
Raymond Goins
Alexandria, Minnesota.
Robare M. Novou

Strongs Book Of Designs

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Well according to the Title Page in the "1917 Edition"...it is printed "New and Enlarged Edition".

And when I compare it to the "1910 Edition"....I see that the "1917 Edition" is indeed larger by about 4 pages...and some of the previous "1910 Edition" pages have now been colored in the "1917 Edition".

And yes, the "1917 Edition" is printed without those 3 pages that were at the back of the book in the "1910 Edition", which made reference to the printer "Peninsular Engraving Co." and the "Detroit School of Lettering".

And nowhere in any of my Strongs books are there those Ice Cream pages that have made it into the "2001 Edition".

RMN
Raymond Goins

Post by Raymond Goins »

Thanks for the info. It was helpful in selecting and ordering the book. I must of got lucky with that. I found the 1910 edition for $60 and the 1917 edition for $350. I went ahead and got the 1910 edition.
Oh and one more jem, I found the Halsted 1927 edition, (orange cover) for $60 also. WoW
Raymond Goins
Alexandria, Minnesota.