Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glue chip testing update

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Glue chip testing update

Post by Roderick Treece »

I was getting ready to glue chip a sign when I realized I was out of glue.I took stock of what I had and knew it would not be enough to do the job.
Having just purchased my first glue pot I thought why not due some chipping tests.After reading Dave Smiths post regarding chipping I expanded my testing as well.
Heres a list of all the mixes of glue I tested and the results.All started with normal chipping glue.The glass was not coated with asphaltum .I used a vinyl mask and blasted lightly with aluminum oxide.
All were poured @140o and squeeged off after to get a consistant thickness useing matt board risers.
Both panels were put it front of a fan with dry warm air for the first hour and got to the gel/trim stage.
Panel A was transfered to the box to dry @ 80o 50% humidity.
Panel B was left to dry under the fan and get hard(3 hrs.),then it went in the box.At that point I turned the heat up and in an hour it was 138o @ 7-10 % humidity

Both PanelA and panel B came out the same.
1) newly mixed 1:2/ nice large furn patern totally chipped
2) Left over glue 1:2 Nice furn pattern but didn't totally chip(Need to add water to the mix)
3)used chips(one time)1:2 Nice smaller furn pattern / totally chipped.
4)used chips(one time)1:1+ Nice even smaller furn pattern / totally chipped.

I end up with no any variations in the types of chips ie; snails or other wise.Which was disapointing but maybe if I drink more guinness that might help.
The most important thing I found was the need to add more water to the left over glue.
As I mensioned in an earlier posting I also built and tested a hydrometer.It worked great and I was able to measure the defference between straight water,1:1 mix and 1:2 mix.I found this to be helpful with the used glue. The fact that the used glue might be heavyer due to the glass content(dry weight) was a concern when trying to figuire out the ratio.
In addition now I will be able to measure the water content of new mix versus old and adjust accordingly.
One thing I thought was interesting is that the 3 mixes, new 1:2,used 1:2 and used 1:1+ all worked great.

Roderick
Roderick Treece

Just an amendment to the mix.

2.75 oz of used glue when remelted will produce roughly 1oz of useable glue.

I rehydrated 5.5 oz. of used glue chips and skimed off the glass resedue,weighed that at 3.5 oz. so what I had left was 2oz. of useable glue.Unfortunatly I used the 1:2 ratio for the 5 oz.s so that batch of glue will need to loose alittle water before it can be used.

I am still scratching my head at how to get a snail chip but I'm just happy when it all chips.Everything else is extra.
Hope this helps.
Roderick
Jeff Umsted

Post by Jeff Umsted »

I am thinking that you need to very how thick you put the glue on and not so much how wet/dry the mixture is???? Idon'tknow :roll: ..........just a thought, to get that snail chip your after.

Jeff
Jeff Umsted
Lapeer, Michigan
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

You did not state how thick you put the glue on, I have noticed that the thicker the glue coat, the more likely you are going to get a snail chip.

What was the thickness of your glue? 1/8th...3/16ths...1/4th?

I used one of those grooved rollers, the kind that rick used to sell,

and it made the glue about 3/16ths thick, plenty of snail chipping with some fern and iceberg thrown in.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I think another seasonal variable is the temperature of the glass when the glue is applied. Glass tends to pick up ambient heat, or hold ambient coolness, so in the winter, the glue gels or sets up almost before it has a chance to level. In the summer, the glass is warmer and is usually more forgiving.

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Roderick Treece

Robert,
I use 1/16 " matt board in the sides of the art work to keep the thickness even.Seems to work great.It does take a little planning as to how you will screen off the extra glue.
As for the snails some one did mension Dave Smith was in England,maybe it's wetter there of somthing.
Roderick